Friday, August 24, 2012

I smile when I think about.......Puppies

I smile when I think about dogs.
I recently returned from a vacation in Texas and have moved in with my parents until my new place is ready on September 5th.  This morning while laying in my bed, I heard my dad get up and get Lexie, my parents Labradoodle, ready to go outside.   Lexie as curious as she is, poked her head in my bedroom door and just brought the biggest smile to my face.  Knowing she needed to go out to go potty I laid there and pretended not to see her, but she saw me and that was all it took.  Lexie, all 75 pounds of her, came bounding into bed with me and snuggled right down as if she hadn't seen me in ages.  Of course I guess dogs have no concept of time so as far as she was concerned a week was an eternity.
There is something about puppy dog eyes and that little whimper that makes my heart melt.  Lexie is a rescue pup from ARF and although I was not impressed with their overall adoption process Lexie is a fantastic dog that has brought much joy and excitement to my family's life.

There are not many dogs that I won't get down to their level and smush my face into theirs and inevitably start talking in some cutesy voice telling them what a cute "tooter face" they are.  Whether they are walking in the park, being carried in someones purse, or being a stray on the side of the road something in my body just screams, "go pet them".  I have been known to get on the floor or out of my car to pet a 90 lb pit bull on a 2 inch logging chain, a long haired chihuahua in White Owl (who later on bit my face), and Golden Retriever who had gotten out of his owners yard, and most recently it took everything in my not to pull over and remove a white pitbull 9 week old puppy from a gentleman's hands while he held it by its collar and allowed its feet to dangle.  Animals are the one creature on this planet that forgives immediately, loves unconditionally, and shows affection without it being shown to them first!

I cannot help but smile when I think about......DOGS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment